Mental Health Education
- De-stigmatizing and inclusive language
- Creating space for conversations around mental health and mental wellness
- Supporting individuals on the spectrum of mental health
- Supporting individuals striving for mental wellness
- Providing resources and information
- Increased awareness on signs and symptoms of mental health challenges
- How to engage in situations whether someone is in a crisis or non-crisis
- Increased tools to connect people to help
- Adult Mental Health First Aid
- Youth Mental Health First Aid
- Teen Mental Health First Aid
- Mental Wellness in the Workplace Workshop
- Mental Health 101
Common Mental Health Definitions:
- Mental Health: a state of well-being in which the individual realizes their own abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively, and is able to contribute to their community.
- Mental Health Challenge: signs and symptoms affecting the brain that influences the way a person thinks, feels, behaves and/or relates to others and to his or her surroundings.
- Mental Illness: A diagnosed mental, behavioral, or emotional disorder that can vary in impact on the individual to mild, moderate, or severe.
- Serious Mental Illness: A diagnosed mental, behavioral, or emotional disorder resulting in serious functional impact, which substantially interferes with or limits one or more major life activities.
- Mental Wellness: An internal resource that helps us think, feel, connect, and function. It is an active process to build resilience, grow, and flourish.
Being able to identify and address when someone is experiencing a mental health crisis is critical to one’s overall health. Compeer is the leading provider of mental health education in Western New York through the courses offered in Mental Health First Aid, training more than 6,500 individuals.
Mental Health First Aid Training
More than 7,000 people across Western New York have been trained by Compeer in Mental Health First Aid! This number continues to grow as more and more individuals are learning about this curriculum.
The National Council of Mental Wellbeing certifies individuals throughout the nation, including Compeer, to provide Mental Health First Aid courses to prepare their communities with the knowledge and skills to help individuals who are developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis. Identified on SAMHSA’s National Registry of Evidence-Based Programs and Practices, the training helps the public better identify, understand, and respond to signs of mental illnesses.
- People who enroll in local Mental Health First Aid courses learn a five-step action plan to help loved ones, colleagues, neighbors, and others cope with mental health or substance use problems.
- Like traditional First Aid and CPR, Mental Health First Aid is help provided to a person developing a mental health problem or experiencing a crisis until professional treatment is obtained or the crisis resolves.
- Mental Health First Aid is an evidence-based public education and prevention tool – it improves the public’s knowledge of mental health and substance use problems and connects people with care for their mental health or substance use problems.
- Compeer offers trainings throughout the community and will also coordinate trainings for specific groups – including, but not limited to, work sites, colleges, churches, schools, and law enforcement.
The standard cost is $3,000 per training. As a recipient of the SAMHSA Mental Health Awareness Training Grant, we have no cost trainings for select populations and that will be determined through the inquiry process by Compeer.
For more information on Mental Health First Aid, visit www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org.
Workplace Mental Wellness Workshop
- The importance of including mental health conversations in the workplace
- How to effectively start conversations about mental wellness in the workplace
- Increased awareness of mental wellness benefits and additions to the workplace
- The importance of self-care
- Pre-consult and post-consult 3 months after workshop
- Specific content relevant to your group
- Activity that produces feedback and tangible outcomes to improve mental wellness in the workplace
Sessions are $500 for up to 30 people, 90- minutes
Mental Health 101
- Groups who are just starting their journey with mental health education
- Groups who are interested in basic information
Sessions are $355, 60-minutes
To inquire or register for a training select the appropriate button below